Where’s it going to go?
The general consensus seems to be strongly in favour of somewhere in the town centre. After all, that’s where it was designed for – originally in the Market Place, then revised to Hall Place. As well as providing pure drinking water at a time when it was a luxury for many people in the town, it strengthened the distinctive character of Hall Place by giving it a striking central focus. That is, until it was removed to Ayscoughfee Gardens in 1954 to make way for a traffic scheme. See the latest newsletter to read more...
ONCE UPON A TIME there was a farm labourer, looking to seal his employment with a Lincolnshire farmer by the shake of hands, as depicted in a beautiful bronze sculpture to be sited on the very spot of the traditional May hiring fair in Spalding.
And the story continued, but became a complicated one, involving permissions, licences, approvals, utilities here and not there, and the uprooting of a finger post to be re-planted in a planter. But the struggle to raise the funding for the purchase of the stone plinth and the installation to make it happen during times of austerity proved the biggest challenge.
But the good news is that all these complications are now behind us, the funding has been found and a
contractor has been commissioned to undertake the installation of the plinth and bronze sculpture by Laury Dizengremel, to be unveiled in Spring 2019.
This is not the end of the tale of the Spalding Trail, however.... See more in the latest newsletter....
Plans to repair 130-year-old,
grade II-listed railway footbridge
History springs to life in Spalding's Hall Place
Spalding's new statue reflects agricultural heritage when farmers said: "You're hired"
The Hiring gets its unveiling
THE HOLYROOD HOUSE SCANDAL
A piece of South Holland’s heritage
that was wilfully not protected.
Holyrood House – like Ayscoughfee Hall next door – was a late mediaeval mansion. Its front and interior were given a handsome makeover in Georgian times, and it was the home of Johnson family members for many years.
It was bought by Spalding Urban District Council in 1944 with the intention of knocking it down to build a town-hall for themselves.
Frustrated by the widespread outcry and the government preservation order placed on it, the Council deliberately let it fall into increasing disrepair, until demolition became inevitable. It was demolished in 1959. Not one of the SUDC‘s more glorious episodes. The town-hall that replaced it is now the Social Services Offices.
It was this disgraceful disregard for our heritage that sparked the founding of the Civic Society in 1960. "Never again," was the determination.
Registered Charity No. 259956